What made this Tornado terrifying? It struck during the night. In May 2007, an EF-5 Tornado almost wiped out the whole town of Greensburg, Kansas.
It was the strongest recorded Tornado since the 3rd May 1999 Moore/Oklahoma City Tornado. Despite a warning with a lead time of twenty six mintues…
… The town of around fifteen hundred people still lost eleven lives. Some of those fatalities were in basements that were filled with a tremendous amount of debris.
Below, find some fast facts regarding the Tornado.
- Sixty five mintues: The Tornado started in Comanche County, Kansas at 9:00pm and ended at 10:05pm near Greensburg.
- One point seven miles: Maximum width of the Tornado.
- Twenty eight point eight miles: Distance the Tornado travelled.
- Two hundred and five miles per hour: Approximately the strongest surface wind in parts of the town.
hundred and sixty one homes and businesses were destroyed by the Tornado.
- Two hundred and sixteen homes and businesses suffered major damage.
- Three hundred and seven homes and businesses suffered minor damage.
With that being said, now relive the 4th May 2007 EF-5 Greensburg, Kansas Tornado in the videos below.
Watch two documentaries regarding the Tornado in the videos below. One was produced by The Weather Channel.